Wednesday, February 4, 2009

He's a Professional.

Or so goes the new song by the Mae Shai inspired by and quoting and sampling from the now infamous Christian Bale tirade. I recommend listening. If only to hear how big a dick someone can be.

I've been "lucky" enough to have heard a few--usually not directed at me--at some of my myriad jobs over the years. Listening to this I was flooded with sense memories of both anger and amusement. Mad that someone would treat someone else like that for what seems like a minor thing (walking around on the set of a movie, thereby distracting Bale?). But worse, and here is what I'm remembering, is the asymmetrical power dynamic of a guy who can get away with it, and another guy that essentially has to shutup and take it.

Brings out the rooting for the underdog thing, maybe. A good deal of movies from my childhood, now that I think about it, had a similar theme running through it. But, in the movies, the loser gets the girl and makes the jock look like the cock he always was--not in this movie. Or at least not on the set anyway. Admittedly, it is funny too, and, rightfully, deserves to be made fun of.



(Big ups to Brooklyn Vegan for the samples.)

No comments: