Monday, January 10, 2011

I would rather never have known her name.

A relatively minor Dem from a Red state far from me. But now I'll remember her forever. I would have been content not to.

And it goes back to the time before she was even elected to the state legislature, back in the late 1990s, when she was a businessperson in the city of Tucson. I knew her then. But, interestingly enough, in the 2000-2003, she was a legislator and we worked on what we can do in Tucson to ensure that the University Medical Center had a very high-tech, functional, world-class trauma center.

She was involved in that process back in 2003. And we have one of the best. And, as I looked down at her, I was reminded of how we worked together to provide the trauma center that is saving her life. And it was -- for me, it was a very moving event.

A good demonstration of how a public good can be of vital self-interest.



No comments: