Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Jumping through hoops.


Now they've really gone and done it. The Clinton's have proved via the presidential medium that men and women are different, sexual stereotypes are true, and that people like it that way. Swollen-eyed and of shaky voice, poor Hillary finally caved under the pressure. After years of subverting the gender role, she got girly. Things weren't going her way, so she pouted. On TV. In front of the world. She's running for president. Of the United States. Of America. Can you imagine Ron Paul doing that? Not that I would mind. (I'm just trying to piss off his "enthusiastic" supporters.)

But here's the awesome part: it totally won her New Hampshire primary. Big time. Apparently women who were against, undecided, or weren't even gong to vote came out in droves for their girl. When have you ever heard Hillary referred to as a girl? (OK, my father doesn't count.) All weekend long, most coverage was about the first black president. I was getting kinda misty, myself. Left over were two underdogs, real man of the people populist--supposedly real this time--and the beginnings of a Clinton pity-party. Misty again, over here.

Just as Clinton the first filled the, cough, big shoes of the philandering, smoking, musician stereotype and only became more popular, Jr. has just surged in popularity in not the most establishment friendly of states. For not even crying, almost crying. What would've happen if she had cried? I think the whole state would've voted for her. Hell, I'd have voted for her.

It sure was effective. I were a scenic, I'd say this perhaps not so authentic display was her trump card she's been holding onto since her run at senator that she didn't have to play in New York. Until now, "The Heartbreak in Iowa." Even so, maybe she didn't really want to use it. Maybe she'd hoped she wouldn't have to, ever. Maybe a piece of me hoped that too. But hey, maybe that's not why she won, right?

I hear Obama plays a good game of hoops.

No comments: